Meet our staff who serve at Mimico Baptist Church.
Jim Sanderson has been pastor of Mimico Baptist Church (MBC) since November 1994. He is married to Jennifer and they have three grown children, Jesse, Jillian, and Jemma. His family is a great source of pride and joy. Jim loves the outdoors, kayaking, fishing, hiking, snowshoeing. He loves his church and community.
Jim trained four years to be an illustrator, served one year with Inter Varsity Christian Fellowship, and three years as a director of a ministry to young offenders and troubled youth. He completed his M.Div. at Tyndale University. Prior to coming to Mimico, Jim served as the Associate Pastor at First Baptist Church Ingersoll and Pastor of Beachville Baptist Church.
While at Mimico, Jim was instrumental in establishing the Annual Mimico Party in the Park Festival, the Mimico Residents Association,
Mimico Children’s Choir, the Christmas Tree Lighting service and an Annual Remembrance service for the Guiding and Scouting groups of south Etobicoke. Jim serves on the Advisory Board of The Gardens,
a collaboration between LAMP, Humber College and other community partners to address food insecurity needs in South Etobicoke.
Jim gives a brief story of his life:
- Raised in Toronto and Oakville as the second oldest child in a family with seven children.
- Sent to church by parents – came to faith in Sunday school. (Lynbrook Gospel Chapel – Oakville)
- Began to deepen faith and pursue ministry opportunities as a teenager. (Toronto)
- Was baptized in 1974 age 16 at Fallingbrook Heights Baptist Church.
- Worked for a few years after high school (Greavette boats in Gravenhurst and later at an architects firm in Toronto)
- Spent 4 years at Sheridan College preparing for a career in commercial art. Graduated from 2 programs)
- God prepared me during this time for ministry and gave me an desire to serve him.
- My first job after Art College was with Inter-Varsity Christian fellowship as an artist and a community, college missionary. This was for one year.
- For three years was the Executive Director of TeenVision, a Toronto based ministry to young offenders and troubled youth.
- Enrolled 1986 at OTS for ministry training. Graduated 1988 – MTS, 1989 – MDIV.(O.T.S Ont.Theological.Sem. now – Tyndale College and Seminary)
- Served Beachville Baptist and FBC Ingersoll 1989 – 1994.
God has been very gracious; and looking back I can sense very strongly the hand of God gently leading and guiding my life. My family and I are excited to be in Mimico and love our community – we have many wonderful friends here and we have become strongly involved in community life.
Contact Pastor Jim at email@example.com.
Linying Liu serves as the Mandarin pastor at Mimico Baptist Church. She immigrated to Toronto with her family from mainland China in 2010. During her twelve years in Mimico Baptist Church, Linying grew in her faith, from seeking to being baptized in 2011. She completed the Master of Divinity (Pastoral Major) at the Canadian Chinese Theological Seminary. In every step of Linying’s faith journey, she has had wonderful guidance from God, as well as the support of her husband Xuewei and daughter Joy.
Linying is passionate about studying God’s word, sharing the gospel, encouraging brothers and sisters to grow spiritually, and living the life of Christ. She also enjoys running and hiking, and loves listening to other people’s stories and sharing her own.
Contact Pastor Linying at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MJ Clarry is passionate about sharing Jesus with kids and families. She has been in professional children’s ministry since 2008. MJ especially loves summer ministry with kids, like our Holiday Club. What she loves most about Mimico Baptist Church is the amazing community here – within our church family and the wider Mimico community.
MJ is married to her wonderful husband, Dan, and has three awesome kids – Abby, Eliza and Tom. MJ loves movies, detective novels and being outside.
Contact MJ at email@example.com.
Jan Thomas has been the Music Director at Mimico Baptist church for about 30 years. Her love of the classic hymns combined with a delight in new choruses of worship and praise led her to a blended style of worship which uses both a mini-worship team of piano and guitar, and also a choir and the organ. Jan believes that music adds greatly to the worship service, expressing, reflecting and guiding our response to God. It is her sincere desire to provide a music programme which is Scripturally based and beneficial to the congregation. Various opportunities are provided for participation.
Her husband, Dave, and daughter, Laura, are involved in the ministry of music at MBC. Her son, Jeffrey (Andrea), and grandchildren Emily and Olivia are involved at their church in Whitby. She has a B.A. from the University of Toronto, earned her piano certificate from the Royal Conservatory of Music, and studied organ privately.
Contact Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sharon Kettlewell serves as our Bulletin Secretary.
Peng and Ellen serve as our custodians.